This policy enables researchers to conduct small-scale research activities of the highest quality, that enable them to bid successfully for larger-scale or small scale funding, and/or to generate publications, and/or to contribute materially in other ways towards the research objectives of their institution.
SVDU has been awarded SIRO Certificate from Department of Science and Industrial Research, New Delhi, in April 2016, which is a prime requirement for getting research funds from any National and International funding agencies by filing extramural research projects.
Terms, Definition and Synonyms:
Research Fund: Research funding is a term generally covering any funding for scientific research, in the areas of natural science, technology, and social science. The term often connotes funding obtained through a competitive process, in which potential research projects are evaluated and only the most promising receive funding.
Funding agencies: These are Govt. or Non-govt. body providing monitory grants for scientific research Areas-Science and Technology, Social sciences, etc. In India various funding agencies are available which provide grants for a research in a various field For example; All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) Department of Ayurveda, Yoga and Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy (AYUSH) Department of Biotechnology (DBT), Department of Science and Technology (DST) etc.
This policy shall apply to all the researchers of the Institution and for the purpose of this policy ‘researchers’ are defined to include:
- All staffs (temporary and permanent) who are active in teaching, research, administration and provision of any form of support to the core function of the Institution.
- All students registered with the Institution.
- All mentors, guides, external experts and sponsors associated with any of the research activities of the Institution.
- All academic and administrative departments of the Institution.
The primary objective of the proposed Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Research Funding Scheme is to motivate the faculty members of Sumandeep Vidyapeeth to undertake quality research, consultancy and other related activities with the assistance of Govt or non-Govt. funds for the benefit of the society.
Sumandeep Vidyapeeth has categorized two types of research projects as per their research budget.
- Major Research Projects having budget more than INR 25,000/-
- Minor Research Projects of which budget is less than INR 25,000/-.
As per above procedure, PI can apply for SVDU-Funded Research Scheme.
The general guidelines for the SVRGFC funding is as mentioned below:
- Any staff member will be permitted two projects in a year under such scheme. Funding is subjected to be approved by Internal Review Committee,
- If proposed project work found under act of plagiarism (as per new plagiarism policy 2018), all benefits of scheme will be withdrawn and amount deducted from salary and further the faculty subjected to disciplinary action as per rules of the institution.
- The faculty or research scholar is motivated to present work at National and International level,
- Annual allocated budget to the institution will be utilized under on following heads:
- Revenue account (research staff, chemicals, travel expenses)
- Capital account
- Equipment, accessories
- Specific lab development
- Renovation of existing labs/infrastructure
- Institution will provide financial support to the research projects up to Rs. 20 lakhs as the upper limit of funds. All high end research projects should be submitted for extramural funding. For those extramural research projects, Institution will provide 10% seed money to PI in the beginning for smooth execution of the project and to avoid unnecessary waiting of the results,
- If the project is approved by external agency, it will be financed through external agency but if project does not get approval then Institution will provide the financial assistance up to the upper ceiling amount i.e. 20 lakhs. However, SVRGFC may sanction research fund more than 20 lakhs exceptionally to the quality research projects after getting its review from external & internal experts of such research area,
- All Institutes are required to submit utilization report of their allocated research budget to the Research Cell on half yearly basis in the standard format. This include the fund disbursed in the current financial year as well as utilization of that budget in the respective heads of Research (i.e. funded projects, salary of staff, RIC, faculty development, others research activities).
The Research Advisory Board of the Institution shall be responsible for implementing this research policy of the Institution by working closely with the Institution’s management.
All the actions pertaining to the research funding policy shall be reported to the Vice Chancellor through the Research Cell.
All the record related to research fund (Govt. & Non-Govt.) shall be maintained by the Research Cell. All the records shall be maintained (soft and hard copy) for the five years from the completion of the research work or project.
Related Legislation and References:
This policy shall follow the guidelines of the following statutory agencies and implement as and when required.
- University Grants Commission (UGC)
- National Assessment and Accreditation Council (NAAC)
- All statutory Councils of Medical, Dental, Pharmacy and Nursing.
The policy shall be administered by the chairman of Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Research Funding Scheme (SVRFS). Vice Chancellor of the Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University shall be the final authority.
Implementation Procedure for SVRGC funding of Research Proposal
The principal investigator is advised to follow the guidelines, regulations and conditions provided for utilization of the grant as under:
- The PI shall apply the SVDU funded Research Proposal as prescribed format (Appendix 1A).
- The principal investigator has to obtain the SVIEC/SVIAEC permission/NoC from Research Cell before commencement of the research work,
- To get the first installment of the project, PI shall submit an application to Director Research along with Declaration form (attached along with this letter),
- For the release of the fund, PI should submit estimated budget to the Research Cell. In case of equipment purchase, PI has to submit minimum three quotations for the vendor,
- The PI should commence his/her project at pre-decided date and complete in a stipulated time period. In case of extension or any other subject, PI should inform to Research Cell and the approval committees in prior notice,
- If project is not initiated within 6 months of sanctioning, PI should submit the reasons to Research Cell and the approval committees through proper channel, for its continuation,
- All communication related to grant utilization or withdrawal of money shall route through Research Cell,
- Kindly submit a hard copy of bills/receipts/FoCs (Invoice letter, including all taxes and freight charges) related to equipments/chemicals/glassware purchased under the project to the Research Cell as a proof of expense after receiving the equipment, within 30 days.
- FoCs (Free of Cost) should be signed through Medical superintendent, Dhiraj Hospital, SVDU
- PI shall receive permission letter from MS, Dhiraj Hospital for FoCs before initiating the patient enrolment in the project.
- Any intellectual property generated by research work under this scheme will be shared by Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University as applicant.
- In all research communications (publication, conference proceedings), it is mandatory to mention Sumandeep Vidyapeeth Deemed to be University as the affiliating institute of the presenter.
- PI shall submit the declaration form in prescribed format (Appendix 1B)
- PI shall submit six monthly progress reports in the prescribed format to the Research Cell in every six month (Appendix 1C).
- Report should include all updates and budgetary details (Utilization report and certificate) with proofs (Appendix 1D).
- PI shall submit final completion report in a timely manner in the prescribed format (Appendix 1E).